Check out the DrupalCon Portland notes hub page for notes from other sessions at DrupalCon Portland.
Session: The Future Of Views
Day - Time Slot: Tuesday, May 21 - 09:00am–10:00am
Presenter: Tim Plunkett
No video for this session but there is audio
History of Views
- Why wasn’t it in core before? Earl Miles said it wasn’t ready.
- May 15th 2012 Views porting begins
- VDC developer team:
- Other VDC contributors(may not be a comprehensive list. Tim said roughly four dozen people worked on it)
- Five months of sprints
- Views merged into core, October 22nd, 2012.
CMI and New Modules
- Views is first to use new plugin system. All of Drupal 8 uses this same plugin system.
- No more Features module. All views go to disk thanks to Config Management Initiative(CMI)
- Views are exported as YAML not a php file thanks to CMI
- VBO is in core(no batch support)
- Entity Reference module is in core
- JSON views supported in core
- Full revision support in Views
- You can add fields to blocks(Just a FYI, not related to Views)
Everything is a View… Well, Not Yet
- River of news is a view
- Content overview page is a view
- Many more to come.
- Views uses TWIG templates!
- No more divatitis (Morton loves you!)
- TWIG is still a work in progress